- A kindergartener drew me a picture in art class!
- Students recognizing me in the hallway when I subbed for a different class in their school.
- Finally being in charge of the “quiet game.”
- “You’re the best sub ever!”
- “You’re pretty!”
- Choosing my own work schedule.
- Being requested by teachers.
- Teaching and learning at the same time.
- Watching kindergarteners dance to the KidzBop version of “Gangnam Style”
- “Miss Rust, are you going to have a baby?”
- Telling students not to chew on scissors.
- Telling students to get their scissors out of their mouths.
- Telling students not to cut their hair with scissors.
- Telling students not to cut other students’ hair with scissors.
- The use of scissors in general.
- Elementary vocal music songs stuck in my head.
- Running out of creative ways to silence a class.
- “How old are you?” A bright child’s guess: “58?”
- “Are you a teenager or are you married?”
- Two birthday children in one fourth grade class. Enough said.
- Valentine’s Day with 5th graders.